Monday, November 14, 2011

How to be Worthy of the Holy Ghost

So in response to my first question posted in the comments, I will be addressing what I believe is a righteous desire of someone's heart: How can we have the Spirit always with us?

Let's start with words that are wiser then my own. We read in Doctrine and Covenants (revelations given to the Prophet Joseph Smith) chapter 42 verse 14: 
"14 And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith;..." 
So to start off, I would say that the first and foremost effective way to have the presence of the Spirit with you more, is to pray and ask your Heavenly Father for it. The power and influence of the Holy Ghost is felt most when we are doing things in our lives that are in accordance with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We read more about the requirements of having the Spirit again in the Doctrine and Covenants: 
  45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then...
 46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever." - (D&C 121: 45-46)


The simplest way I can think of  in order to invite the Spirit in our lives is to do the "Small and Simple" things that are asked of us. As we remain faithful in reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, attending our Church meetings, and serving and "love[ing] [our] neighbour[s] as [ourselves] " - (Matthew 22:39). Then we can rest assured in our hearts that our Father in Heaven will bless us with the Spirit to guide, teach, and comfort us in all that we endure. Just as the Savior promised His disciples:  
" 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. "- ( John 14: 26-27)


No comments:

Post a Comment