Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Questions

Blogging. What is it all about? Why bother if you think nobody reads it? Does it really help anyone learn more about the Restored Gospel? Am I just wasting time trying to be a missionary online? Can people understand what Jesus Christ's Gospel is from a blog?

These are questions that I've had in these last few months I've been doing missionary work online. I don't know if they are as worth the time as I occasionally give them or not. I think about what makes me happy in life, what brings me joy, and how the Gospel of Jesus Christ has played a role in those aspects of my life. What is it all about? This blog is about the Gospel. It's about missionary work. It's about helping others come to know their Savior better, and the sacrifices that he went through for all of us.

Aside from the doubts that the human mind has about everything we strive to work for in life, there are some things that I know about this work. For example; Why bother if you think nobody reads it? The reason that I bother is because of a few things. First and foremost, I am a missionary called of God to preach the Gospel of his Son Jesus Christ. There is no doubt in my mind that is a truth. Second is the hope that someone out there will read something that I post that will touch their heart, and inspire them to want to learn more. If there is anyone like that reading this now, please don't be afraid to ask God questions in prayer. I promise that he will listen and will answer. Another good reason to keep writing things out in a blog like this is the constant reminder it gives me personally of my own faith and testimony of the Gospel.

So, does it really help anyone learn more about the Restored Gospel? That is a good question too really. Do I know for sure? Not unless people actually start leaving comments on this thing. Do I still write in a hope that it will? Of course. This is part of my calling as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As long as the Lord wants me to fulfill this responsibility in my calling, then I know that if not at this very moment, then sometime this Blog will actually help someone learn about the Restored Gospel. The comfort that I receive from this can be summed up in the following scriptures.
Doctrine and Covenants 18: 10-16:
 10 Remember the aworth of bsouls is great in the sight of God;...
 13 And how great is his ajoy in the bsoul that crepenteth!
 14 Wherefore, you are called to acry repentance unto this people.
 15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one asoul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
 16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the akingdom of my Father, how great will be your bjoy if you should bring many csouls unto me!

Am I wasting my time trying to be a missionary online? No not really. If I was then I would feel guilty about writing this thing. Since I don't feel guilty, I must be doing something right, right? Really though my thought is this. If people are not outside, and are not willing to answer their door because they are sitting in front of their computer enjoying all the services of the Internet, then I will go through their computer. Yes that means you. Don't be offended please, that is just my way of understanding why I am writing a blog.

Last but not least. Can people understand what Jesus Christ's Gospel is from a blog? Well if they cannot then I have no one to blame but myself. If I am truly doing my job, then the things that I post on here shouldn't be hard to follow or understand. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is Love. Love for God, love for ones family, love for your neighbor, and love for life and the many miracles that it brings to us.

Jesus Christ taught that love is the greatest commandment. ( Matthew Ch. 22 V. 37-39)
" Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt alove the Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy cmind. This is the first and great acommandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself. "

We show our love for the Lord by following his commandments. ( John Ch. 14 V. 15)
 " If ye love me, keep my commandments. "

Keeping those commandments all start with the Doctrine of Christ described simply in the Book of Mormon as five key principles and ordinances:
  1. FAITH
  2. REPENTENCE
  3. BAPTISM BY IMMERSION FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS
  4. LAYING ON OF HANDS FOR THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST
  5. ENDURING TO THE END

The Book of Mormon prophet Nephi was better at teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ then I will ever be. If you read in (2 Nephi 31) of the Book of Mormon, then you can understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or at least how to get started. If you do that off of my recommendation from this blog, then yes, people can understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ from a blog.


1 comment:

  1. I hope that all of you who are reading this today have felt the strength and Love that Elder Owen is hsaring with you. His testimony os always a strength and insiration for me and I am moved by the love hope and joy that i find in the words he shares. I hope that if you are feeliong even a small twinkle in your heart as you read this wonderful blog that you will follow the promptings and the advise he had shared and klisten to that call to your spirit and soul and seek out YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!!! I am boosted up and my own testimony is renewed and I anm reminded of my responsibilities in building up the Kingdom of our God, our loving Father in Heaven when I apply these teachings to my life. I know the Church of Jesus Christ is true and I have a sure knowledge that my Savior lives and loves me and he loves you too and Elder Owen loves you, so keep writing elder Owen and keep teaching us of the Hope and Joy of Christ the Lord and His Gosple :)

    ReplyDelete